My Thoughts on Nioh

My Thoughts on Nioh

Oni Demon mini boss in Nioh

Nioh is an Action RPG game that came out for PS4 on February 7th 2017. But hit PC lovers everywhere on November 7th 2017 with it's unexpected release on steam. Nioh is a Darksouls like game based in old Japan, full of Magic, War, and Monsters.

Now just because Nioh may be described as a Darksouls Like game does not mean it's a Darksouls copy. It's clear that they took inspiration from Darksouls on many game mechanics, but Nioh has a bunch of really awesome and unique game mechanics of it's own that completely make it it's own game. If you want to hear about those check out my previous Nioh blog post.

My thoughts on Nioh. I'm a huge Darksouls fan, I know the Darksouls 3 controls like the back of my hand, so the fact that Nioh has almost backwards controls than Darksouls, A to roll and dash. B to interact with items, had almost gotten me not to play Nioh. I kept on playing through the first stage, and in not too long I had gotten used to the controls already and was killing baddies like they were nothing. Graphics wise though, I'd have to say Nioh and Darksouls 3 have different strengths and weaknesses when it comes to graphics. Nioh, has much much more amazing and beautiful looking enemies, crazy looking levels and such. Darksouls though, Darksouls deals more with distant locations environment and it does it amazingly. At the end of the day I'd say Nioh looks more crazy and vibrant, which I personally love. Then Darksouls looks more beautiful, with sunlight passing through collapsed towers in the distance and such.

Now, storytelling wise I'm not sure I can really give anything more than my opinion. One doesn't do better than the other they just do it in different ways. In Darksouls games there isnt really much plot or story line to go on in the start of the game other than "Go." But as you go on in the game you can read item descriptions and such, which will give you subtle hints of the lore and plot.

Nioh on the other hand, You get a nice story line and plot going. In Darksouls you are just an Undead hollow that has to go kill 4 lords of cinder and put their ashes on their thrones inside of Firelink Shrine, for a reason you're not really sure of. But in Nioh you are a pirate who has the ability to see Guardian Spirits and Oni. But when your own Guardian Spirit is taken you travel to Japan to get her back, but end up being caught in the middle of a civil war, full of Demons, Magic and Bloodshed. Which I like better personally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Injustice 2 Review

Secret World Legends: Costume guide pt.1

Bloodborne: How To Get Blade Of Mercy Early